There have been some recent changes for licensing and permitting at the State Liquor Authority (SLA) and TTB. One drawback of the government is that changes are made without notice to the public. If you don’t actively work in this field, it can be difficult to know about changes. I wanted to share some changes in late June and July that impact businesses applying for licenses and permits at the state and federal level.
The SLA has introduced several new applications that are specific to different license types. Sometimes the “one size fits all forms” can be confusing because the questions don’t always seem to apply. These new applications should make it easier when applying to make changes or relocate businesses with liquor licenses. Here are links to some of the new applications.
- Alteration Application for On-Premises Establishments – rev 07/12/2018
- Alteration Application for Grocery Stores and Drug Stores – rev 07/12/2018
- Alteration Application for Liquor Stores and Wine Stores – rev 07/12/2018
- Alteration Application for Manufacturers – rev 07/12/2018
- Alteration Application for Wholesalers – rev 07/12/2018
|Applications and Instructions for Petition for Removal (Change Locations)|
- Removal Application for On-Premises Beer and Wine Establishments – rev 06/20/2018
- Removal Application for On-Premises Liquor Establishments – rev 06/20/2018
- Removal Application for Grocery Stores and Drug Stores – rev 06/20/2018
- Removal Application for Liquor Stores and Wine Stores – rev 06/20/2018
- Removal Application for Manufacturers – rev 06/20/2018
- Removal Application for Wholesalers – rev 06/20/2018
The SLA has also gone to using the NY State Business Express Wizard in its licensing process. This is now required but is intended to simplify the process for applicants by identifying the correct applications needed for the desired business operation. The Wizard asks a series of questions to create a custom cover sheet and select the needed applications. The applications, once completed, are filed by mail with the SLA. Here are links to the Wizards in case you want to check them out.
The On Premises, Off Premises, Manufacturer and Wholesale/Importer License applications are now available online through New York Business Express.
On-Premises Application and Instructions
- On-Premises Retail Application Through New York Business Express
- Instructions for On-Premises Retail Application – rev.03302018
Liquor Store and Wine Store Application and Instructions
- Liquor Store and Wine Store Application Through New York Business Express
- Instructions for Liquor Store and Wine Store Application – rev.03012018
Grocery Store and Drug Store Beer and Wine Product Application and Instructions
- Grocery Store and Drug Store Beer and Wine Product Application Through New York Business Express
- Instructions for Grocery Store and Drug Store Beer and Wine Product Application– rev.03022018
In a similar fashion, the federal TTB is upgrading its online permitting process and overhauling its online application website. The TTB online system will be closed for a full week while the improvements are made. When it re-opens, there will a new online experience for users. The biggest improvement is that applications that were originally filed in paper can now be accessed and amended via the online system. That is a tremendous step forward for long-standing businesses that did not use the newer online filing system when they filed their original application.
The Tracy Jong Law Firm team can help your business obtain a permit for the production or sale of alcoholic beverages with the SLA and TTB by working with you to accurately complete your license application in a timely manner. We have significant experience working with small companies, as well as state and federal alcohol beverage agencies. For more information about our services, and how we can assist your company, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.